The university has a vast array of resources and support for individuals with disabilities. Please see below for information on specific university offices and services that may assist with specific questions or needs. In addition, there is additional information on specific accommodation and accessibility needs and other resources available outside of the university.

Confidential Resources for Interactive Process

The following offices and entities can provide confidential and HIPAA-protected support to faculty and staff with disabilities:

Work Connections is an integrated disability management program developed by the University of Michigan to help employees and supervisors when a faculty or staff member experiences an injury or illness that prevents working. Work Connections works with other programs at the University to ensure that faculty or staff and supervisors have convenient and centralized access to a wide variety of resources and support. When faculty and staff are on a medical leave for more than ten days, Work Connections with act as a liaison between the faculty and staff member and their department and serves to preserve the confidentiality of the faculty or staff member’s medical information while offering guidance to departments on medical issues.

You can email Work Connections or call (734) 615-0643 to learn more.

The University also has various offices that can provide support for faculty and staff with disabilities. This support includes making recommendations for potentially-effective accommodations as well as counseling and consultation services.

Please review the Change in Ability to Work guide to learn more about these offices and their services:

Accommodation Recommendation Services

Medical Ergonomics Program provide guidance and assistance at the job site to facilitate a successful match between the faculty or staff member’s abilities and the job site needs. The MHealthy occupational therapist works to identify faculty and staff strategies and accommodations to optimize work capacities, and can implement a trial of those solutions at the worksite in collaboration with the department.

MHealthy Medical Ergonomics should be consulted for recommendations for potentially effective accommodations that may be needed by a faculty or staff member with a disability. Faculty and staff will need a healthcare provider referral in order to initiate the process through MHealthy.

The offices listed below “Preventative Strategy Services” should not be consulted for medical or disability-related accommodations. Those offices are invaluable resources when it comes to implementing preventative strategies for faculty, staff, and departments who are not seeking such resources for a medical condition or disability.

Preventative Strategy Services

Environmental Health and Safety offers self-service checklists, training, and consultations to help employees and departments set up an ergonomically correct work environment to decrease the likelihood of experiencing physical discomfort or injury.

Michigan Medicine Safety Management Services also provides consultation services for Michigan Medicine employees and departments regarding creating an ergonomically correct environment.

Preventative Strategy Services should not be consulted for medical or disability-related accommodations. Those offices are invaluable resources when it comes to implementing preventative strategies for faculty, staff, and departments who are not seeking such resources for a medical condition or disability.

Counseling and Support Services

Faculty and Staff Counseling and Consultation Office provides confidential support and assistance to University staff and faculty in resolving personal or work related concerns as well as providing services intended to enhance emotional health, well-being, and job performance.

Michigan Medicine Office for Counseling and Workplace Resilience provides free-of-charge and confidential counseling, consultation, coaching and stress debriefing services to help Michigan Medicine faculty and staff develop strength and resilience in their personal and professional lives.

Non-Confidential Resources

Non-Confidential and Other University Resources

The following offices and entities are available to provide guidance and support to employees or applicants with disabilities. Unlike the “Confidential Resources,” these resources are not protected under HIPAA.

The ADA Coordinator in the Office for Institutional Equity (OIE) provides guidance and support regarding the University’s responsibilities under the ADA and similar laws. The ADA Coordinator can help clarify the interactive process and answer your questions about requesting accommodations. While OIE is not a “Confidential Resource,” we will respect your privacy as much as possible when offering you guidance or answering your questions. You can email the ADA Coordinator or call the Office for Institutional Equity at (734) 763-0235

Human Resources (HR) representatives are available to provide guidance and support throughout the interactive process. HR can also provide additional information regarding other relevant policies, practices, or benefits, such as Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leave, relevant union contract provisions, extended sick pay, etc. In addition to the specific HR offices listed below, individual units may also have embedded HR representatives available for additional support:

  • University Human Resource
  • Staff Human Resources Services provides advice and assistance in human resource matters affecting primary staff, as well as bargained-for groups, and university organizations
  • In addition to Staff HR, the Shared Services Center offers support for various HR-related matters, including benefits transaction processing, employment services, and time and leave administration
  • Michigan Medicine Human Resources is responsible for the administration of the University’s comprehensive personnel programs in Executive Vice President for Medical Affairs, Michigan Health Corporation, North Campus Research Complex (NCRC), UM Hospitals and Health Centers, the University of Michigan Medical School, and UM Health.
  • The Michigan Medicine HR Solution Center is the primary contact for Michigan Medicine faculty and staff who wish to request disability-related accommodations. In addition, the Solution Center also offers service various HR transactional issues, such as compensation, leaves of absence, and employment transactions
  • Academic Human Resources administers and provides consultation related to programs, policies and procedures for faculty, as well as Graduate Student Instructors, Graduate Student Research Assistants and Graduate Student Staff Assistants. AHR is also responsible for union contract issues and processes for academic employees
  • The Benefits Office administers the University’s comprehensive benefits programs, including long-term disability, medical, life and dental insurance, and retirement programs

Resources for Union or Bargained-For Employees

Bargained-for faculty and staff under union contracts should also consult their specific union if they have questions about how their union contract might impact their request for accommodations. See more Information about each union.

Dearborn Resources

Faculty and staff who are on the Dearborn campus should contact their Human Resources Office to engage in the interactive process and answer any questions they might have. Email Human Resources or call (323) 593-5190.

Flint Resources

Faculty and staff who are on the Dearborn campus should email Flint’s Benefits Coordinator, Suzi Bye, or call (810) 766-6658.

Resources for Accommodations that Fall Outside the Scope of the University’s ADA Responsibilities

Sometimes, a faculty or staff member might require accommodations that fall outside the scope of employment. For example, a request for a person-use item, such as a wheelchair, may not be within the University’s responsibilities under the ADA. While the University may not be required to provide such accommodations, Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS) may be able to provide support. MRS provides specialized employment and education-related services and training to assist individuals with disabilities in becoming employed or retaining employment.

Mary Taylor is a MRS Rehabilitation Counselor who serves the University community. You can email Mary Taylor or call (734) 677-1101.

Resources for Students

Students seeking academic accommodations should contact the Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) Office. Student-employees may request work-related accommodations through the process outlined in the “Overview of the Interactive Process” section of this site.

Accessibility Issues

University Buildings and Facilities

If you are a faculty or staff member with a disability who regularly works in or uses a university building and is experiencing an accessibility barrier or concern, please email the ADA Coordinator or call the Office for Institutional Equity at (734) 763-0235.

Navigation and Wayfinding

For more information on specific buildings, please consult the interactive campus map. Additional information may be found about any accessibility features of the building by contacting the facility manager or other building staff.

You can also get information about ongoing construction and impacts on pedestrian traffic.

Accessible Restrooms

See a list of accessible restrooms located in buildings throughout campus .

Facilities Maintenance

For immediate concerns regarding snow removal, elevator repair, parking or transportation, please call the following numbers:

Snow Removal

For immediate concerns regarding snow removal, please call:
Ann Arbor: 734-647-2059
Flint: 810-762-3223
Dearborn: Days: 313-593-5444, Nights: 0 (Operator) ask for assistance

Elevator Repair

For immediate concerns regarding elevator operations, please call:
Campus Buildings: Days/Nights/Weekends: 734-647-2059
Residence Halls: Notify the Building Manager for your residence hall. The Resident Adviser should be able to provide you the appropriate contact information for the Building Manager.


For more information on parking at the university, please contact Parking and Transportation Services.

Call: 734-764-8291


Paratransit: To register for or request a ride with the University’s Paratransit services, please contact:
To register: 734-763-3000
To call for a ride: 734-764-3427

Ann Arbor Transportation Authority also provides paratransit services for individuals with disabilities.

Digital Information Accessibility

Under the ADA and the Rehabilitation Act, the university must strive to ensure that our digital and electronic resources are accessible to individuals with disabilities. In other words, our websites, web applications, and digital and electronic information content must be available and navigable by a wide range of users, including individuals with temporary and permanent disabilities. For more information on the accessibility requirements are for your electronic, digital, and online resources, how to meet those requirements, and what resources you have at your disposal, please visit Help for Digital Accessibility at U-M.

Interpreter Services

  • Individuals with disabilities may require an interpreter to ensure accurate and meaningful communication.
  • American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters may be requested by emailing Jill Rice from the Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) Office or calling (734) 615-4461.
  • Michigan Medicine patients can request ASL interpreters by emailing Interpreter Services or calling (734) 936-7021.
  • Real-time captioning or live speech-to-text interpretation (also known as CART) may be arranged by contacting Screenline LLC at 517-627-2500.
Forms to Assist with the Interactive Process